We are pleased to provide details of our upcoming Events and Courses.
Online booking is now available for most of our courses. Please click through from the link within the course details if viewing this document online.
Some courses are not yet available to book, but please contact Katie Oastler to register your interest and you will then be sent booking details just as soon as they are available. In addition, if you’d like to take a course but the dates available don’t suit you, please get in touch. Whilst we do require a minimum number of candidates to run a course, we will look to add to the programme where there is demand.
ECB Cricket Activator Course
Date: Friday 6th April 2018, 9.00am – 4.30pm TBC
Closing date for applications: 2nd March 2018 (3)
To book: Contact Katie to register your interest.
The ECB Cricket Activator course is an excellent first course for those aged 14-16 interested in cricket. The playing of cricket will not happen without a lot of things, which are often hidden to people, being done. If you want to make cricket happen, in whatever capacity, this course is right for you, especially if you are a young person exploring various options of how you can support cricket and develop yourself personally.
- The course will help you identify and understand the roles that make cricket happen and the development of ideas to promote cricket in your community.
- An ideal course for anyone wishing to volunteer, particularly umpiring, scoring and overseeing junior matches, but also signpost you to other opportunities to progress as part of the cricketing community
- After the workshop, you will have the opportunity to get involved by assisting at your local cricket club or school (SCB can help with placement if required). Once you have completed 10 hours volunteering you will receive a certificate to acknowledge your achievement.
Candidates should wear sports clothing, bring lunch and plenty to drink. General course booking conditions apply (2) This course is aimed at 14-16 year olds, so if you are outside this age bracket we suggest you contact Katie to discuss the suitability of this or other courses before applying.
ECB Coach Support Worker Course
Venue: Ipswich School, 25 Henley Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 3SG
Date: Friday 16th February 2018, 9.00am – 4.30pm
Closing date for applications: 19th January 20183
To book: Click Here
Date: TBC Saturday 24th March 2018, 9.00am – 4.30pm
Closing date for applications: 23rd February 20183
To book: Contact Katie to register your interest
Venue: Ipswich School, 25 Henley Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 3SG
Date: Saturday 14th April 2018, 9.00am – 4.30pm
Closing date for applications: 16th March 20183
To book: Click Here
The ECB Coach Support Worker course is suitable for anyone age 16+ looking either to help out at their local club or to start on the ECB Coaching pathway. It is particularly aimed at those who are keen to assist the Lead Coach deliver junior sessions at their local club. The course will enable you to help in the delivery and organisation of games and training sessions. This vital role supports the coach in action and the development of players within the club
environment. The course will cover the following:
- How to run warm ups and cool downs
- Running a variety of small sided games
- Umpiring and scoring junior matches
- Team management (juniors)
Candidates must apply for an ECB DBS certificate and complete an ECB online Safeguarding course prior to attending the taught course day. Full details will be provided on booking, or contact Katie if you have any questions.
This is a practical course and candidates should wear sports clothing, bring lunch and plenty to drink.
Please note that the minimum age for attending this course is 16 years old and we cannot make
exceptions to this. General course booking conditions also apply (2).
ECB UKCC Level 2 Coaching (Children)
Course Venue: Ipswich School, 25 Henley Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 3SG
Course Dates: Saturdays – 25th November 2017, 9th December 2017, 13th January 2018, 10th March 2018 and Sunday 13th May 2018
Course Time: 9.30am – 5.30pm
Cost: £300 (however, a £50 rebate is available to candidates who are deemed Competent at the first assessment attempt (3)
Closing date for initial application stage: 8th September 2017
Induction evening: Thursday 9th November 2017 6.30-9.30pm at Copdock & OI CC, IP8 3JN
This course is designed to help develop your confidence and equip you with the knowledge, understanding and applied skills to lead coaching sessions for children and create safe, fun, player-centred coaching environments.
Over the duration of the course, you can expect to explore the following questions:
- What is the role of a children’s coach and what does good children’s coaching look like?
- What sorts of skills can children learn in cricket coaching sessions?
- How can I develop my own coaching philosophy and why is it important?
- What tools do I need to learn from experiences?
- How do children learn?
- What are the players’ needs and how can I help to meet them?
- What are the different types of practice and what skills do they develop?
- What tools can I use to help players learn in my coaching session?
- How can I adapt my coaching session depending on the practice type and what skills players are learning?
Candidates will be required to attend all sessions, including the induction evening, on the dates stated above as well as completing online e-Learning modules and other home study. There will also be a minimum of six sessions of supported practice in a club coaching environment, supervised by a Suffolk Cricket approved Supported Practice Coach, to take place early in 2018.
If you are unsure whether this course is right for you, please speak to Katie Oastler for further advice. With an
average pass rate of 65%, it is important that you are aware of the level of commitment and amount of work
required to be successful.
All prospective coaches attending this course are required to hold a valid ECB DBS and complete an online
Safeguarding module prior to 25th November 2017. Further details will be provided to all those applying. They
must also complete a First Aid course, which will be offered as an optional extra element (additional fee of £20
applies) within the course day on 10th March.
Tea and coffee will be available on course days but each attendee should bring their own lunch.
To apply please complete the form CLICK HERE by 8th September 2017. All applications will be considered by
the Coach Education tutor team who will review and may contact applicants to discuss their suitability for
the course further. Places on the course will then be allocated by 22nd September at which time the full fee
of £300 will be due for payment.
Please read carefully the full Level 2 Terms and Conditions (1)
ECB CPD Modules and ECB Diploma
If you are interested in attending any of the ECB CPD modules or ECB Diploma please contact Katie to register your interest. The CPD workshops are open to ECB Level 2 qualified coaches only, and are mandatory for those wishing to progress to the ECB Diploma. These workshops will only run in 2017-18 if there is sufficient demand, so please contact us if you would like to attend.
If there is not enough demand we may be able to refer you to neighbouring County Cricket Boards offering these workshops. The ECB Diploma is run by the ECB directly, however please contact Katie in the first instance. There are 6 CPD workshops as follows:
- ECB Creating the Learning Climate for Children
- ECB Game Based Learning for Children
- ECB Skill Development for Children ECB Coaching Teams
- ECB Performance and Video Analysis
- ECB Training Interventions and Methods
Each module includes a 3 hour workshop, e-learning consisting of online and applied coaching tasks through ECB Moodle learner management system, and applied coaching in a club or school environment.
Safe Hands (Club Welfare Officer) Course
Cost: £22-£25 TBC
Closing date for applications: TBC
To Book: Contact Katie to register your interest, stating whether you are a new welfare officer or need to renew your existing Safe Hands qualification You are reminded that ALL clubs are recommended to have a qualified Welfare Officer, and this is mandatory for ClubMark Clubs, clubs with a junior section and those participating in League cricket in Suffolk.
The two requirements for qualification are:
- Valid DBS certificate (please contact Katie to arrange new applications/renewals)
- Attendance at Safe Hands workshop Both DBS certificates and Safe Hands qualifications must be renewed every 3 years.
Please take this opportunity to check if your Club Welfare Officer is prepared to accept the role for 2018 and if s/he needs to update his/her qualifications. We will be running 2 courses in early 2018 – one will be aimed at those new to the role of Welfare Officer, whilst the other will be for those renewing their existing qualification.
If you require any further information or clarification please do not hesitate to contact our County Welfare Officer, Graham Moss, who will be able to assist with any queries you may have.
ECB ACO Stage 1 Umpires Course
Venue: Crowfield Baptist Church, Stone Street, Crowfield, IP6 9SZ TBC
Dates: Saturday 27th January and Saturday 3 rd February 2018 TBC
Time: 9.00am – 4.00pm TBC
Cost: £40 – £50 TBC
Closing date for applications: 5 th January 2018 (3) To Book: Please contact Katie for further information This course is designed to give you a general overview of the Laws of the game, as well as the fundamentals of match management. It will leave you with the basic tools you’ll need if you want to umpire regularly. It assumes that the candidate is not a complete novice as regards the game, but is designed for the recreational umpire to cope adequately and is the first step to onward development.
Tea and coffee will be available but each attendee should bring their own lunch. The lead tutor will be Terry Snell assisted by colleagues from the Association of Suffolk Cricket Umpires & Scorers.
Please note that if you are interested in becoming an Umpire but are unable to make these course dates we would still like to hear from you. Please contact Katie for further information. General course booking conditions apply (2)
ECB ACO Level 1 Scorers Course
The ECB Level 1 Scorers Courses are aimed at scorers who wish to score for their club or entry level to the ECB scorer pathway, this includes Premier League and Multi Day Cricket. No prior knowledge or experience is required. At this stage no courses are scheduled, however anyone interested in taking a course in future should contact Katie for further information.
Terms and Conditions
(1) 2017-18 Level 2 Course Terms & Conditions Once places are confirmed on 22/9/17 payment of £300 must be received by 6/10/17. Submitting an application form does not automatically guarantee your place on this course. All applications will be reviewed after the closing date of 8 th September, with places then allocated by the Suffolk Cricket Coach Education team by 22/9/17. Suffolk Cricket may also contact you and/or where applicable a club contact, to discuss your application further. Applicants must be aged 17 or over at the course start date and will not be certified until they are 18. In the case of the course being over-subscribed, we reserve the right to limit the number of places available to applicants from any one club and priority may be given to SCB affiliated clubs and schools. SCB reserves the right to cancel a course if minimum numbers are not achieved. Every effort will be made to offer an alternative course. In the event of cancellation by SCB all fees will be refunded to candidates in full. If a candidate wishes to withdraw from the course prior to the start date SCB will offer a refund only if the place can be filled from the waiting list. All those successful in securing a place on the course must complete the ECB Online Safeguarding course and gain a DBS certificate prior to the course start date. Full details on how to complete both these requirements will be available once places are offered. Failure to obtain either the Safeguarding qualification or a valid DBS may result in exclusion from the course. Attendance at all course days (including the Induction evening) is compulsory and failure to attend will result in exclusion from the course, except in very exceptional circumstances. A rebate of £50 is available to any candidate who successfully passes the course at the first attempt on the Assessment day of 13th May 2018.
(2) General Booking Terms & Conditions Payment must be made in full before candidates can attend any courses. Booking will be confirmed on receipt of application acceptance and payment, and additional online booking terms and conditions apply. SCB reserves the right to cancel a course if minimum numbers are not achieved. Every effort will be made to offer an alternative course. In the event of cancellation by SCB all fees will be refunded to candidates in full. If a candidate wishes to withdraw from the course prior to the start date the SCB will offer a refund only if the place can be filled from a waiting list. If a candidate misses any part of the course or is unable to complete the course, the SCB reserve the right to refund at their discretion. Priority may be given to those candidates who are members of the ECB Suffolk Cricket Board Affiliated Clubs and schools. If you are unsuccessful in gaining a place on the course your payment will be returned in full.
(3) Bookings may be accepted at our discretion following this date, for which a £5 additional fee may be charged.