In my recent report I mentioned some areas highlighted nationally. One was Social Media – please make yourself aware of the section in Safe Hands as it gives some simple “Do’s and Do not’s” which are all important to follow. I have highlighted a few as follows:
- Do have a separate social media account for cricket club and personal use
- Do keep photos and personal information private
- Do remember the picture/no name guidance for U18s
- Do Not send texts to juniors
- Do be mindful of youngsters playing in open age teams and the use of social media regarding those teams
Cyber bullying using all aspects of social media is on the increase. Beware that it is difficult to police and detect, but it could be in the form of words or inappropriate photos and it could be a criminal offence to send such matter. All young people regularly use social media as a way of contacting their peer group and are much more informed then their elders in most cases.
A reminder also of ECB guidelines in respect of photography and video footage. It is explained in Safe Hands regarding obtaining consent to take photographs but on NO account should a photograph be published which will identify a young person under the age of 18 years.
If you need any further guidance on the above issues please do not hesitate to contact me.
07752415619 | email@example.com
in Graham’s absence please contact:
07747478770 | firstname.lastname@example.org