ECB Statement in response to Government AnnouncementFebruary 25, 2021
The ECB welcomes the Government’s decision to permit outdoor grassroots cricket to return in time for the start of the 2021 season from 29th March. Cricket plays an important role in many people’s lives and helps to maintain positive mental and physical wellbeing. We are working with Sport England and the Government on each step of the Government’s Roadmap. We will issue further guidance shortly on what each step of the roadmap means for the game to support players, teams, clubs, coaches and umpires to prepare in time for 29th March.
“We continue to work with Sport Wales and the Welsh Government on the safe return of recreational cricket as soon as possible in Wales.”
The Government’s roadmap also confirmed that school sport and after-school clubs can resume from 8th March. As part of this, activities such as cricket that can help pupils to be physically active while encouraging physical distancing are encouraged.
The Department for Education has published guidance to support the resumption of physical activity in schools, and coaches, teachers and venues should be aware of the following points:
- Each school has the flexibility to decide how physical education, sport and physical activity will be provided
- Pupils should be kept in consistent groups, with equipment cleaned between use by individual groups
- Outdoor sports should be prioritised where possible, and large indoor spaces used where it is not
- External facilities can be used
- Competition between different schools should not take place until wider grassroots sport for under 18s is permitted
- Schools can work with external coaches, clubs and organisations for curricular and extra-curricular activities, but must be satisfied that it is safe to do so
- Further details on the guidelines around provision of activity for after-school clubs will be provided shortly
“Cricket has a huge part to play in helping the country back on its feet and we will work in partnership with the Government to achieve that.”
Tags: ECB Update
Categorised in: News