Sudbury CCJune 23, 2021
Sudbury cricket Club is located in southern Suffolk on the border with Essex. They have a womens team which trains on Thursday evenings and junior trainings on Fridays for boys and girls.
Here is a short interview with Chairman Louis Brooks on women and girls cricket at Sudbury CC and the club’s season so far!
- What is the one piece of advice you would give to a woman/girl starting cricket?
You can do it! There is so much talent in the woman/girl game work hard and you can have a lot of fun.
- What is the most notable player achievement you have seen in your club?
Seeing 9 of our juniors come through the ranks to play in our East Anglian Premier League winning sides, and our ladies team winning the Two Counties League in their inaugural season in 2005.
- What do you think is the biggest issue facing women and girls in cricket at the moment?
Participation in the ladies game. We have run a ladies team since 2005. Its been hard as we have not had junior girls feeding from the juniors. We now can see progression through our junior girls team.
- What is the best thing about club cricket?
The camaraderie and team spirit and making a difference in the community.
- What are your aims for this season?
To get junior numbers back to pre-pandemic 2019 figures and to get the junior girls team up and running and fulfilling our fixtures.
“If there are any ladies or girls in the Sudbury area who would like to come and join the club, please give us a try. We cater for all abilities and provide ladies coaching on Thursdays with a great level 2 coach. Really great Friday night training for all juniors!”
- How has your season gone so far?
So far so good. Highlight so far our first ever girls match v Chippenham. NIesve Robertson our first ever Girls captain in our 234-year history.
- If you could have any international ground as your home ground, which would you choose and why?
No question Lords the most historical club in the world. The MCC was also founded in the same year as Sudbury Cricket Club, 1787, so we feel twinned!
- What is your club’s unique selling point? What makes your club different from other clubs?
We have a great buzz at the club. Everyone is equal across sections of the club. We get great crowds we are in a town which is quite rare. Sudbury CC is infectious and gets into your blood and DNA.
- Sum up your club in 3 words.
Passionate, progressive, and caring.
Categorised in: Womens Cricket